Sunday, January 20, 2008

Proceed With Caution: Lack of REM Can Induce a Serious Case of the Blues

Not the kind of REM you're thinking about. This particular lack of rapid eye movement resulted from a long morning devoid of coffee, the newspaper, magazines or Facebook. I'm in training you see. Having committed my daughter and me to a week long experiment on the effects of technology and media, I thought I'd test-drive a Saturday morning without the usual eye chatter to which I subject myself.

It wasn't long before we found refuge at the new Barnes & Noble on Warren Street. Life is a lot more bearable after a triple-shot latte and a helping of Quindlen:

"Nothing important, or meaningful, or beautiful, or interesting, or great ever came out of imitations. The thing that is really hard, and really amazing, is giving up on being perfect and beginning the work on becoming yourself."

Confession #1: I didn't tip the doormen this year.

No comments: