Thursday, January 24, 2008

Only in New York Moments

I just saw a man in a chicken suit. A short and skinny man in an anatomically incorrect chicken suit. I was waiting to order at Starbucks and caught a glimpse of the dusty yellow feathers from the corner of my eye. He was outside the building, lingering on the sidewalk in front of the window, slowly and aimlessly making his way to Times Square, carrying a plastic Western Union bag (why would Western Union have bags?) I'm guessing he could actually see where he was going through the wide open beak. He just didn't seem to be in a hurry to get there. "Only in New York" I thought.

I've had many "Only in New York" moments over the years -- personally witnessed, personally experienced. I don't think I'll miss any of them. Soon, the Naked Cowboy in Times Square, the crazies on the subway, the insanity of rush hour commute (waiting in line to cross the street!), the half-hour wait at Starbucks will all be a distant memory. I won't miss any of it.

I can't sleep at night wondering what my new life will be like.

No comments: