Friday, January 18, 2008

Pots, Pans and a Pressure Cooker: Wedding Registry or Relocation List?

I can't do anything before researching it first; can't buy anything before shopping around; can't write an article before becoming an expert on the subject; can't pick a lunch plate before I walk the entire cafeteria to see what else is there. I couldn't even have a baby before reading all available pregnancy & childbirth books available at the time (only to realize that I had never read anything about how to take care of a newborn and ended up taking my daughter to the doctor when her bellybutton didn't fall off within a few days.)

Noone expects me to execute a cross-continent move by the seat of my pants. Noone should. Especially if they love me and care about me! They can't expect me to wing this; not this! I should be allowed a little neurosis. I already started bothering friends who've already done it, albeit almost a decade ago: How did you get your stuff over there? What did you bring? How did you deal with customs? What kind of paperwork did you need? What do you wish you had stocked up on? What do you wish you had bought while still in New York?

I expected a drug list: if you like your allergy pills, Motrin and Children's Tylenol you must bring a decent supply with you. Fair enough.

What I didn't expect was a unanimous shout-out to kitchen supplies. Apparently, if one is relocating away from Broadway Panhandler's domain, one must stock up with the latest and greatest cookware, tableware, pepper grinder, cutlery and never look back.

1 comment:

Zeynep said...

I want Pfalzgraff, and I want it all!