Friday, July 4, 2008

Tired No More

I logged in to write about the latest confession, the fact that I claim to be a lady of leisure but am secretly "working," writing articles and posts in exchange for money, putting together business plans for soon-to-exist magazines and web sites, helping a documentary filmmaker get seed money for a biographical piece whose script I might actually write. Then I realized, not only did I lose track of which confession # this would be but that noone cares if I work or not. In fact, I don't even care that much anymore about where my head is in this midlife crisis or the completely meaningless search for what's next. The turtle dude said it best in the Kung Fu Panda movie we saw today: "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is mystery, but today is a gift. That's why it's called the present."

Today I truly ENJOYED about forty minutes at the gym -- forty minutes all to myself. I blasted my music (busted the headphones, oh well) and thought about nothing but the pace and the lyrics of KT Tunstall's Hold On:

"...Hold on to what you’ve been given lately
Hold on to what you know you’ve got
Hold on to what you’ve been given lately
Hold on cos the world will turn if you’re ready or not

...I was tired of January
I was tired of June
I felt a change coming
I was tired of January
Tired of June
I felt a change a coming
I felt a change a coming
I felt a change a coming
I felt a change a coming
I felt a change a coming soon..."

1 comment:

Jeff Christian said...

Synchronicitously [is that a word?!], I am reading a book called "The Power of Now" that espouses, in much more florid and spiritual language, the turtle dude's philosophy. The basic premise is that your entire life happens only in the moment you are currently living. Now is the only time on which we can make an impact -- the past is already written, and the concerns of the future are yet to exist. It's easier said than done, but I truly believe that mastering this mode of thought [and, therefore, way of life] is the key to happiness.