Monday, April 14, 2008

Finding Flow Turkish Style

I read Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi's Finding Flow ten years ago at the recommendation of my then boss. He first gave me a worn-out copy of an article his shrink had lent him. The article led me to the book, the book to my husband.

Maybe not literally, but I was in fact practicing the art of social flow when I met him, hoping to stop the over-analytical banter of my mind and truly enjoy the life of a twentysomething in New York. I was into jazz...very much into jazz.

"A good conversation is like a jam session in jazz, where one starts with conventional elements and the introduces spontaneous variations that create an exciting new composition." - M.C.

So imagine my surprise when the husband of almost nine years called our Saturday night outing "akmak" or "flowing." Apparently, going to Istiklal Cad. without any specific plans and ending up at 360 after a bite of tantuni is called flowing, i.e. spontaneous enjoyment of the city that has no rules and is simply ruled by street cats and seagulls.

Getting a babysitter was the best idea I've had since arriving here two weeks ago -- wearing four-inch heels and smoking a pack of fancy Marlboro Lights not so great. Nevertheless, I like jazz again. And Turkish pop and Turkish techno and whatever else this city has in store for me.



3 comments:

Zeynep said...

What's wrong with the spacing in your blog? The first paragraph is double spaced, the following ones single.

Ahu said...

I know!!! If anyone knows how to fix it please tell me!!!!

Zeynep said...

look at the html version before posting. maybe you can find it there. and can you txt me your babysitter's name & info please pretty please?