Sunday, May 11, 2008

Landing Gear Deployed

It's been a whirlwind week. (Leave it to me to have a whirlwind week the very week I was supposed to take a break from all the craziness that had become my new life.)

I remember a particular midterms week in college when I crash-studied for the exams of the econ classes I barely attended, staying up several nights in a row wired on coffee and NoDoz. At the end of the madness, and after taking the midterms in three-day-old sweatpants, I went to bed with a smile on my face and had the best sleep of my college career. The next morning, I didn't remember a word of what I had read all week and decided to change my major to history. That's one of the reasons I had to take a job in magazines when I graduated, and not in finance.

It's been that kind of a week.

Two full days of looking at apartments in Gokturk (Kemer Country), two school tours, a four-hour job interview at a publishing house, a fancy launch party for LG's new television, a major fight with the dear husband (most probably because I'm getting my period and have become the ultimate bitch), a kid's birthday party, the overworked dh moving offices and leaving for New York for a three-day trip, dinner guests one night and an overnight guest another. Most days, we would leave the house at 8 a.m. and not return until midnight. And finally, after picking up the keys to our new place yesterday, I had one of the best sleeps I've had since I arrived. And this morning, I didn't remember much of the craziness that took place the past week. I'm happily spending my fifth mother's day doing laundry, cooking and tidying up.

Yes, we finally have a home. I signed the contract yesterday and will need this week to get it cleaned, have the locks changed, the electricity and natural gas turned on and the movers arranged. We will hopefully be moved in by next Sunday so I can finally begin my life here. The 74 boxes have arrived and are waiting to be picked up at customs. Luckily the palatial four-bedroom we rented also has a storage unit in the basement so I won't have to unpack all of them at once and can start enjoying my new life right away -- like swimming laps in the Olympic outdoor pool or sweating calories in the fragrant gym.

Here's a quick peek at Kemerlife XXI where we rented a top-floor apartment. Click here.

And here's a link to what we think will be the kid's school. Click here.

And finally, much to my husband's disappointment, where I will NOT be working this summer. Click here or here.

3 comments:

Zeynep said...

Dude.

I want my plates.

And will not make any more dates with you daammiit you keep canceling on me :)

The place sounds and looks wonderful - I am so happy you found the right places for your home and your Maya. We'll be able to see each other, don't worry. We go to Demirciköy once a month, and your house is somewhere within that area. I think. But knowing you, you'll never be too tired to drive, meet for lunch, or shoe shopping. Yes. Shoe shopping.

Sumi said...

Look at that apartment complex! That doesn't look a thing like the Turkey I remember from the photos you brought with you to MHC - but it looks just as lovely, in another way. I'm glad to hear you're happy with having some decisions (where to live, where Maya will be in school...) out of the way. I hope that means you can find at least one other week to take a break...

Unknown said...

I'm so jealous-- I LOVE the IB Primary Years Programme. I did my student teaching in an IB school, and it was simply amazing. If I could choose any place to send Livy, it would be to a school just like you have found for Maya.

Oh--and your apartment complex looks like a mini-NYC all to itself!

Congrats on making some tough decisions.