Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The Witching Hour

The time stamp says it all. Eight suitcases packed, two to go. I have to make my third trip to Century 21 in the morning. I mean in about three hours. I'm sitting on the floor leaning against a wall as I type this. In front of me is an empty living room minus the eight red suitcases lined up like soldiers in front of the window. The kid is sleeping on the smelly couch. She couldn't stay up past ten o'clock tonight. I should have bought her the triple latte at Starbucks instead of the hot chocolate this afternoon. She could have packed a few more toys herself!

The famous walk-in closet once filled with seventy-four boxes is now filled with cast-offs the nanny will probably take home tomorrow. Why would anyone want the smelly pillows from the smelly couch is beyond me.

Tonight is my last night in New York as a New Yorker. Like Z said, from now on we'll be tourists when we visit. At least for a while (I keep telling myself.) Maybe it's only fitting that I stay up all night just once in the city that never sleeps.

1 comment:

Zeynep said...

74 boxes in a walk in closet??? My friend, you must have had a great apartment! My closet in our last NYC apartment was pretty big as well - but 74 boxes!! Shoe boxes. Or matchboxes. Yeah. Cuz if they were real packing boxes you wouldn't just leave that apartment, right? Kidding!

Can't believe you'll be here today... Start packing again because we're going to Bodrum on the 5th!