Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Addicted to Breaking News

I face my computer ninety percent of the time while I'm at work. With three active email accounts to check, two blogs to maintain, countless work-related forms to fill, it's a miracle that I'm still employed as an account director whose main responsibility is to talk to potential customers IN PERSON to prove our's is bigger and better than the other guy's. Most days I can barely do my job because I spend my entire day in front of the computer.

How did this happen? When has spending eight hours or more in front of the computer every day become routine and acceptable? When? Why? Is this how an addict realizes, perhaps in rehab, that at one point she lost control of her life?

In addition to my work email, I sign in and out of Hotmail and Gmail all day long, looking for the latest newsletters, friends' updates, Facebook messages and breaking news alerts. As if that's not enough, I glance at the culled news when I sign in to my Gmail homepage and when I sign out of Hotmail. I shouldn't care if "Stars shone during Fashion Week," or "If Election lives up to hype," but I do and I click and I read. A few paragraphs later I come to and quit Internet Explorer and go back to Outlook. I read emails, archive emails, delete emails, download attachments, forward documents, update my calendar, add a new contact. All day long, this is what I do.

What the hell!

No comments: